From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 15:16:37 -0500
Danny Tan writes:

>I read with great interests, the mountains of violin concerti that has been
>recommended by list members.  What about some famous and "not to be missed"
>piano concerti?

Danny lists some favorites, asks for more.  Two great nineteenth century
omissions:  Schumann and Grieg.  Moving to the twentieth century,

   Medtner:  Two concerti.  If you like Rachmaninoff you may like these,
   but I don't mean to imply that they are just copies.

   Bartok: All three are wonderful, in different ways.

   Prokofiev- wrote 5, I believe.  The second is a favorite of mine.
   The NAxos set has received high praise.

   Schoenberg.  Yes, THAT Schoenberg.  A very powerful work.

   Schnittke - Concerto for Piano and Strings

   Rautawarra - I have not heard the one just recorded by the dedicatee,
   Ashekanozi, but the earlier ones are very good- perhaps his best
   work, IMHO.

   Busoni- unique- complete with chorus!!  If you don't like minimalism,
   try this - it is maximalism at work.

   Viila Lobos - Choros # 11.  A gigantic piano concerto- or is it three
   piano concerti? I am indebted to a member of this community, Achim
   Breiling, for bringing it to my attention.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University