From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:07:44 -0500
John Smyth, among others, writes in response to my quick-and-dirty lineup:

>>Brilliant VW Conductors: Barbirolli, Mitropoulos
>>Very Good to Great VW Conductors: Boult, Hickox
>>Variable VW Conductors: Previn, Haitink
>
>I hope Handley would be a part of your list, considering his rewarding
>box-set of VW is quite a bargain, esp. used.  I've been comparing
>Handley's/Liverpool Sea Symphony to Spano's/Atlanta on Telarc and I must
>say I like the Handley better.

I've never warmed to Handley's VW.  I know his Job in particular was
highly regarded, but I don't see it myself, especially compared to Boult's
late EMI recording.  The symphonies are given good readings, but nothing
stands out to me.

His Bax, on the other hand, knocks me over.  I hope he completes the
cycle.

Steve Schwartz