From:
Patrick Nilsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 23:15:06 +0100
The other day I attended a concert in Gothenburg, with the Swedish National
Orchestra and it brought to my mind some questions that ever since have
puzzled me.  If any member of this esteemed list would find it worth while,
I would appreciate an answer.

First it was the clarinet players.  Every time they had a forte they lifted
up their bells over the notestand and Im just curious if this is common
practice.  I know that the clarinet is an instrument that sometimes has
problems making itself heard in an orchestral forte, but acting like Mr.
Goodman in a Concert Hall?

The second question has tragic implications and it concerns the conductor
who lately have had a stroke.  After several weeks of convalescence he
has now returned as a shadow of himself and the uncertainty within the
orchestra is obvious.  The mistakes in the brass section were legio and
the children choir had problems knowing when to sing (Mahlers third
symphony).  At what point should a man, with a wonderful career, step down?

/Patrick