From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 20:10:59 -0800
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Jocelyn Wang:
>
>>Wow.  The composer's dead, therefore living performers have carte blanche
>>to mess up their works any way they darned well please.  Oh, yeah, that's
>>some reverence for art.
>
>Where did I mention or even hint at "carte blanche" etc.? That comes
>from you, not from me.  Of course performers have a responsibility to
>the composer, be he dead or alive, that will constrain their freedom.  I
>thought that was sufficiently blindingly obvious that it did not need to
>be spelled out.  They also have a responsibility to their audience.  This
>whole carte-blanche, anything-goes, free-for-all business has been dreamt
>up by others, and I should be profoundly grateful to anyone who can show
>anything in what I have written that justifies raising it.

Your reference to " the crumbling shoulders of the long-decomposed composer
who lived his life in a different world" was hardly reverential.  As I
mentioned in another post, if such specific markings are to be tossed aside
on a whim, what is preventing performers from tossing aside equally
specific indications, such as dynamics, tempi, or the notes themselves?

-Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series
Come see our web page: www.bigfoot.com/~CulverMusic