From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 22:27:48 -0500
Dave Harman at [log in to unmask] wrote:

>20th century music has such a range of styles and tonality that there is
>more than enough substantial and enjoyable music to be heard.  The last 70
>years have produced some wonderful music - from the Symphonies of Tubin and
>Kokkonen - to the best of Copland - not to mention the last works of
>Rachmaninoff.
>
>Thanks to the capacity and technology of CD's we get to hear it all!

David's affirmation of the last 70 years is a nice change from the doom
and gloom concerning twentieth century tonal music or atonal music.  It
is also an accurate assessment.  Yesterday, driving along and listening to
WHRB (easily he best classical music station in the Boston area) I heard
first, a tremendously exciting and colorful work by Berio, then a quieter
but very beautiful and interesting cello concerto by Herbert Howells,
written about 60 years ago.  These were very different works, yet they
were both there to be enjoyed without worrying about atonal, microtonal,
untonal, macrotonal, etc, etc.

Bernard Chasan