From:
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:59:42 +0000
Dave commented:

>[I understand a Shostakovich waltz is used, but I haven't been
>able to find out which one, or even if this is true.  -Dave]

Yes, the waltz from one of the Jazz suites (No.2, I think).

Bob Kasenchak wrote:

>The second, and most interesting development, is the 2-note theme that
>permeates the movie.  It's just a little 2-note piano theme, it gets a
>little more complicated a few times, but mostly lays there, bare, echoing.
>During the most intense parts it pares itself down to one note, repeated,
>louder, louder, stringent, ever so slightly faster, until the one note is
>banged on the piano to where you can almost hear the other strings
>resonating.  Very very very effective.  And elegant, as you'd expect from
>Mr. Kubrick.

I thought this was from a Ligeti piece, but I may be wrong.

>I will be interested to hear others' impressions of the music.  Go see
>this film--it is not for the squeamish or prude, though.

I think prudes will like this film; if you dislike people *and* sex it's
just for you I'd say (also there isn't much to disturb the squeamish,
nothing graphic in fact).

Ulvi Yurtsever
E-mail: [log in to unmask]