From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 07:42:23 -0600
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>For years, Ormandy's was the only available version and it still sounds
>terrific.  It's coupled with Ormandy's version of the 10th, which is worth
>anyone's time.  Ormandy still suffers from all those greatest hits records,
>hence Karl's aside, and IMHO, he was a hell of a lot better conductor than
>his reputation would suggest.  As an example, I also offer in evidence,
>m'lud, his Rachmaninov 1st (the first non-Soviet recording, IIRC) which
>could still do fifteen rounds with more recent contenders.

Actually my aside had more to do with my finding most of his later work to
be dull.  For example, I find his early mono recording of the Rachmaninov
3rd Symphony to be my favorite, while I find the stereo version dull.

Also, a bit of discography, while I don't know the order of publication
there were several recordings of the Rachmaninov 1st that predate the
Ormandy.

Sanderling; Lennigrad PO; Melodia D 05246/7 also on MK, which was my first
recording of the work
Rachmilovitch; Stockholm Radio Orch; Mercury 10111
Bongartz; Dresden PO; Urania 7131

>>7-Ancerl, Bernstein
>
>... I assume Karl refers to the Bernstein on Sony.

Yes.

Karl