From:
Angelo Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 18:27:26 -0500
Coming Up on NPR's Performance Today
NOVEMBER 17 -- NOVEMBER 23, 2001

KORVA COLEMAN IS HOST

Saturday, NOVEMBER 17

Hour 1 -- Pinchas Zukerman plays Beethoven:  From the Santa Fe Chamber
Music Festival, Zukerman performs Beethoven's Sonata No.  5 with one of
his favorite duo partners, pianist Marc Neikrug.

Hour 2 -- To fly:  Over the centuries, scientists, inventors and artists
have wondered what it might be like to fly like a bird.  Ralph Vaughan
Williams imagined the flight in his "Lark Ascending" for violin and
orchestra.  We'll hear it performed by the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra.

Sunday, NOVEMBER 18

Hour 1 -- Bach in three dimensions:  We'll travel from Buffalo to Chicago
and Washington, DC to hear J.S.  Bach's Double Concerto, the Brandenburg
Concerto No.  4 and some rarely-heard music for solo piano.

Hour 2 -- Performance Today Piano Showcase:  Pianist Louis Lortie joins the
Atlanta Symphony for a knock-out performance of Mozart's Piano Concerto No.
27 in B-flat.  Ilan Volkov conducts.  Also, pianist Alain Jacquon plays
Liszt's "Gondoliera" and "Tarantella" in Washington, DC.

FRED CHILD IS HOST

Monday, NOVEMBER 19

Hour 1 -- Jean Sibelius would be proud:  It may be the most rousing
performance of "Finlandia" you'll ever hear.  The Helsinki Philharmonic
played it 10 days ago at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C.  along
with a choir of men full of patriot fervor.

Hour 2 -- John O'Conor LIVE in NPR's Studio 4A:  Irish Pianist John
O'Conor joins Fred for a private recital that includes a set of Schubert
Impromptus, and a series of Nocturnes by John Field, Frederic Chopin,
and Alexander Scriabin.

Tuesday, NOVEMBER 20

Hour 1 -- The subliminal side of Bach:  A new CD called "Morimur" claims
to reveal hidden messages that Bach wove into his Chaconne for solo violin.
Fred questions violinist Christoph Poppen about the project, and we'll hear
him play the piece, with the members of the Hilliard Ensemble singing the
hidden chorales that Bach supposedly layered through the music.  (ECM)

Hour 2 -- Coming to Terms with bows:  Miles Hoffman joins Fred to explain
what bows are made of and why they're more important (and valuable) than
you might think.

Wednesday, NOVEMBER 21

Hour 1 -- Harry Potter:  The movie may be a big hit, but what about the
music? Fred listens to John Williams' score with our film music critic
Royal Brown.

Hour 2 -- Nielsen Symphony Series, Part 3:  With his third symphony,
the "Sinfonia Espansiva," Carl Nielsen made a great leap forward in his
composing style.  Michael Steinberg is our guide as we hear a concert
performance by the Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra.

Thursday, NOVEMBER 22

Hour 1 -- Bach to the basics for Thanksgiving:  We have an hour of Baroque
music, anchored by Bach.  Andras Schiff plays a set of Preludes and Fugues
in Athens, Georgia and risk-taking violinist Andrew Manze leads the Academy
of Ancient Music in Bach's Orchestral Suite No.  4 in concert at the
Schwetzingen Festival in Germany.

Hour 2 -- Thanksgiving in the heartland:  A feast of music inspired by
the spirit of America, and requested by Performance Today listeners, from a
Joplin Rag to the "New World Symphony" by Dvorak and music from "The Tender
Land" by Aaron Copland.

AND ON THE NEW PERFORMANCE TODAY WEBSITE:  Listen as Robert Kapilow
explains what makes "America the Beautiful" so great...  Hear Terry
Teachout's review on the New York Philharmonic's new CD boxed-set
celebrating conductor Kurt Masur....  Tune in to our Nielsen series...
Check out our special page on music for solace and comfort in the wake of
recent events.  Order your copy of "Peter and the Wolf:  A Special Report."
You'll find it all at http://www.npr.org/programs/pt

NOTE: SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.  FOR EXACT BROADCAST TIMES, CONTACT
YOUR LOCAL PUBLIC RADIO STATION, GO TO OUR WEBSITE, OR CALL PERFORMANCE
TODAY AT (202) 513-2370.

Angelo Harris <[log in to unmask]>