From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 12:36:15 -0700
I am intruiged by the continuing Bax cycle on Naxos.

#1 is a trememdous performance let down by a poor recording.  The trombones
buzz to an extent that they could be used to strip wallpaper.

#2 the jewel in the crown.  Beautifully structured Symphony with lots of
colour and imagination.  Dramatic sound and very musical performance.

#3 I have heard that the ending is not as enegmatic as it could be.
Haven't been able to compare it with the Bryden Thompson version yet.

#5 the best recorded of the three.  However, I feel something is wrong
with the work itself.  Many of the ideas and rhythms sound routine.
The 'optimistic' coda seems tacked on.  Is the composer's inspiration
flagging??? Am I missing something?

Am looking forward to the Tintagel in this cycle.  All the best,

David H.
Nottingham, UK