From:
David Bringen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:43:42 -0500
David Stewart wrote:

>...  I don't think I really get the nuances of ANY CM piece until I have
>listened to it 3 or so times.

I used to search for the "one CORRECT version" of any piece.  Now I try
to listen to what each new player or conductor does with a piece.  I hear
new tones, new harmonies, new structures with each fresh performance.
Especially with the more "formal" composers -- Bach, Beethoven, them bad
boys.  Listening to a variety of interpretations wakes up my grasp of just
what the "pure" score is capable of.

>Sorry, this seems to have turned into one of those 'stream of conciousness'
>emails.

"No blame. Perseverance furthers." ;-)