From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:48:06 -0700
Jim Saunders writes:

>I've heard great things about this recording, but it's out of print
>currently.  Anyone have any comments on the performance/recording? Any
>ideas where I might be able to pick up a copy? Thanks

I finally acquired the performance you are talking about after noticing
the Penguin Guide not only gave CD a rosette, but removed the rosette
originally awarded to Tennstedt's Mahler 8th.

Well, the first mov't is the best I've ever heard as far as the modern
recordings go, and I've heard just about all of them--Solti, the
Bernsteins, Tenn., Inbal, Shaw, Abbado, Maazel--Cheryl Studer's glorias
towards the end are *stunning.* Everyone, yes everyone, should do their
phyche a favor and experience the Sinopoli/Philharmonia rendition of this
mov't.

Alas, on to the second mov't.  Things go quite well until the preparation
for the final chorus.  All that beautiful music after "blicket auf" (sp?)
is so slowed down and distorted, as is the section before the choral and
organ "alles" that I was heartbroken.  The tympanist also misses an
entrance shortly after the "alles" outburst.  There is an exposed trumpet
crack in the orchestral conclusion.

Heard enough? DG is re-issuing this CD at midprice.  You might want to keep
just the first mov't!  I took up Derek Barker's suggestion and now own the
Chandos/Segerstam recording which I am very happy with.  I listen to the
Sinopoli for the 1st mov't and the Seg.  for the second.  (Don't tell
anyone)

John Smyth