From:
Christine Labroche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 19:29:01 +0200
Sorry, I'm posting late on this one, once more behind in my readings ...

I particularly appreciate Madetoja's three symphonies.

The second is tragic.  It is dated 1916-18 and strife and grieving are very
present.  Madejota's brother, Yrjo, and his friend and fellow-composer,
Toivo Kuula, were both killed during the 1918 civil war in Finland.  So I
was very surprised to find that my liner-notes only refer briefly to the
long andante, (2nd movement), dismissing it as a pastoral, complete with
shepherdess ...  Even if I hadn't known of the situation in Finland and of
Madetoja's grief, I don't think I could have interpreted the movement with
the off-stage oboe and horn in this manner.  Perhaps there is youth, but
the mood is distressing and sorrowful, the entwining motifs often borne on
the low, tense rumble of percussion.

Does anyone know anything specific about Madetoja's intentions here - or
can anyone comment?

Regards,

Christine Labroche