From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 20:30:54 -0500
Don Satz wrote that...

>Scott Ross is most revered for his traversal of the Scarlatti solo
>keyboard works.  However, he also made some great recordings of Bach's
>keyboard music.

I'd like to add to this short list Scott Ross's very worthy rendering (on
Erato 2292-45435-2) of some of Padre Antonio Soler's sonatas, with the
famous Fandango.  It's now out in a bargain double accompanied by some
music by Pergolesi, iirc.

I've heard some complain that Ross's style generally is too metronomic and
suffers from being very by-the-book; in short, that his playing suffers
from an excess of vigour, and maybe lacks nuance.  I'd agree that he's got
the most resolute fingers I've ever heard knead a keyboard, but I find his
renderings especially of Soler's music admirably clean and pure.

Bert Bailey