From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2007 07:09:04 -0300
Deryk Barker:

>I think it's OK, but dislike his 7th (Sibelius by Karajan) quite a lot
>- and am astonished that the hideously out of tune bassoon escaped the
>attention of all concerned and made it onto the final release.

I didn't pay attention to that bassoon when I listened the disc, but
I'll do next time.  I listened once one of Karajan's latest recordings
of Verdi's Requiem and there seems to be a couple brief but clear moments
in which he simply loses control of the orchestra.  I don't think it was
a live recording, but probably I'm wrong.  Those accidents, if were,
could be explained by the (cretacic) age of K at that moment.  Not bad
after all: a man that can control almost all of a Verdi at an age when
many other men can't even control their bladders.  However, the Sibelius
was recorded in 1968.

No disrespect: I love Karajan (almost always).

Thanks Deryk and Roger Hecht  for your opinions.

Pablo Massa