From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 08:39:33 -0500
Stirling writes:

>The means to rebel is simple - consumerism is the dominant ethos, stop
>being a consumer.
>
>But then, on a list focused on record collecting, I realise that these
>words fall on largely deaf ears.

Well, how does one hear the works that makes one a True Connoisseur and
Lover of Art if one doesn't spend money? It seems to me one will have to
spend money (and remain a consumer) for tickets, recordings, and sheet
music.

The solution sounds suspiciously like total abstinence from learning new
work, and I doubt it leads to a better situation than what we have now,
bad as it is.

Steve Schwartz