From:
Al Dugan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 23:11:04 -0700
Allan Kohrman wrote:

>If I had my way, I would audition four or five finalists and ask them all
>to conduct a Haydn symphony.  Much of my decision would be based on how
>well they conducted that.  If they can't conduct a Haydn symphony, then
>they shouldn't be offered the BSO position.  Of course that would rule out
>a great many charismatic hotshots.

There must be irony in your choice of conducting a Haydn Symphony to check
the qualifications of a conductor for the BSO...Serge Koussevitzky had the
same criteria.

Since we are all crystal ball gazing for a replacement for Ozawa, I'm
predicting Michael Tilson Thomas.  Barenboim will leave Chicago, and
Eschenbach will replace him.  Following in the tradition that brought
Mehta from Los Angeles to NY, so will Esa Solonon go east replacing Mazur.

Alan Dugan