From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 15:38:11 PST
Mitch Friedfeld wrote:

>A collector as thorough as Don probably knows that Glenn Gould's
>second rendition of the Goldbergs, on CBS 7464-37779, contains exactly 1,
>count 'em, 1, track.

Well, it beats no tracks and is very easy on the "shuffle" button.  Getting
back to Schiff and Bach, Schiff's Two and Three Part Inventions, released
many years ago, contains the full thirty tracks.  It's a wacky business.
The reason I brought this 6 track Goldbergs by Schiff up to begin with is
that I was thinking what a pain it would be to compare a few versions of
the Goldbergs, variation by variation, when you only have 6 tracks to work
with.  One track is that much worse.

By the way, the Schiff Goldbergs is a very nice version, better than
Koroliov's in general.  I was looking for a piano version on Harmonia Mundi
performed by a man with the last name of Vieu (something like that); he
also recently recorded the Diabelli Variations.  Any opinions on either
recording? How about the sound? I've usually found that Harmonia Mundi's
piano sound is rather harsh.

Don Satz