From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:35:48 -0500
As long as we're into confessions and candour, along with Usama I admit
to having no time for...

>Mozart's symphonies...any of them.

They don't esp annoy me, as they do him, but I find most too lightweight.
Ditto for the rest of his music, pretty much.  Maybe it just lacks the
dissonance I seem to need, or something that's less than creamy-smooth.
Eine Kleine's outstanding, though more than a kleine per annum wears on
me; I like the 16 early sonatas for violin and harpsichord (on Philips)
-- so refreshingly late baroque.  Parts of the Requiem hold my attention,
like the occasional movement of his later PCs, but most of the rest
strikes me as frippery, much too frilly and candy-coated to get enthused
about.

I may eventually recant about this, I guess; others I respect on this
List seem to have done so.  Clearly, when my tastes expand in music it's
always a gain, and a recognition of a previous gap or loss for me.

It puzzles some that FJ Haydn, on the other hand, delights me no end.
The splendid Nelson Mass the concertos, the piano trios, most of the
later symphonies, of course the string quartets, the other masses, the
Seven Last Words oratorio, and heaps more.  Just why Mozart and he are
lumped together, aside from chronology and sharing the very broad
'classical' grouping, I don't rightly know.

After reading a few more posts I realize my list is much longer, including
most of Dvorak, much of Mendelssohn, and probably others.  And yet, for
the mentioned reason, saying I don't like a composer feels much like
boasting about a blind spot in my musical horizon.

Bert Bailey