From:
David Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 09:08:12 -0500
As father of a thirteen-year-old girl and husband to a wife of varied
musical tastes, I occasionally am forced to listen to the pop music
they favor.  Imagine my surprise upon hearing track 2 of Santana's
Grammy-winning effort "Supernatural" I'm confronted with bowdlerized
Brahms!  While happy that at least some younger people (Dave Matthews
co-wrote the song "Love of My Life") at least have heard Brahms, I was
appalled at the damage done to his elegiac Poco Allegretto from his Third
Symphony.  Converted to 4/4 time without the lilt or counterpoint in the
original, it limps along.  (Even so, I'd often wondered when popular song
would get around to appropriating this great melody.)

How does the list feel about stealing material from the composers of the
past? Should there be attribution? There isn't any in the Santana album and
I've rarely seen credit given for such "inspiration." Fire away!

David Simmons
Virginia Beach, VA