From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 11:44:57 PDT
William Hong was pointing out the wealth of fine Baroque music not composed
by Bach or Handel and the excellence of some earlier composers such as
Monteverdi.

Baroque music, among classical music fans, does not have a prime-time
reputation.  There's much music of every time period that is deficient
in quality, but the Baroque area has taken the brunt of this view.  Why?
Personally, I think it's because radio stations continue to play the
material that's not very good.

Here in Albuquerque, the local classcial station regularly plays much
baroque music in the morning.  I don't know where it comes up with some
of the music, but it is generally of marginal quality.  Not much Bach or
Handel - loads of Vivaldi and lesser lights.  So, with a steady diet of
Vivaldi and worse, it's not surprising that Baroque music is not thought
of highly.

There's a great deal of excellent baroque music by composers such as
the Couperins, Biber, Rameau, Telemann, Le Roux, Froberger, Jommelli,
Planicky, Albioni, etc.  I never hear their best works on the radio, only
the throw-away stuff.  This leads me to believe that the station management
and the dj's are just not well informed and/or have what I would consider
poor taste.

Speaking of poor taste and programming decisions, I was driving to work he
other day listening to the first movement of Mozart's clarinet quintet, and
figuring that I'd get to hear some of the 2nd movement before I arrived at
the workplace.  What was I thinking? The station didn't play any additional
movments.  It was time for a commercial about art galleries.  I don't
normally feel like hurting any persons, but anyone who cuts short a great
Mozart work rates my best shot.  It's so inconsiderate of listeners and an
insult to the composers.

Don Satz