From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 15:00:53 +0100
Don Satz:

>Mikael Rasmusson wrote of Bach:
>
>>If only he had been a bit more adventurous!
>
>If I wanted absolutely everything from one composer, I'd have to admit
>that Bach didn't deliver much innovation.  However, I have often heard
>individuals mistake a Bach piece for a 20th century composition; more
>often than not, it's the Art of Fugue.
>
>Personally, I'll take Bach as he was, over any other composer.

I can get almost everything from Liszt, so varied is his output (and so
humble are my demands).  He posessed several different musical "languages"
and wrote in every genre (unfortunately no opera apart from his juvenile
opera "Don Sanche").  He is much more than "Mr Excessively
Emotional-Bombastic" (summing up recent Liszt-labeling into one
generalisation).

You have to look hard in order to find good recordings of his music.  When
it comes to non-piano music, you have to look even harder and sometimes you
will find that some things never ever have been recorded....  He's still a
dark horse...

Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>