From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 21:31:16 +0200
I used to agree with another listmember that some works seems very
difficult to get wrong.  I have so never heard a bad recording of
Beethovens 8.  Sinfonie for example.  Another work that often is performed
very well is Mahler's 4th, although the quality can vary, I have never
heard a downright bad recording of it.  Which is then the best Mahler 4?
hard to say.  Haitinks live 1999 Berliner version is outstanding to me, but
this one isn't officially out as commercial recording, so one can say it
doesn't count.  One criteria beside good conducting and orchestra playing
is that the singer is good, and to have a singer in the symphonies mother
tounge is important to me, as the diction usually comes out better.  So;
I'd suggest Klemperer's Philharmonia recordig from 1961.  Teh schrezo
really sounds much "mahlerian", with the Philharmonia Orchestra playing
with a clear almost transparent sound, and besides, in this recording the
siger has clear diction indeed.  For example I could say that Elisabeth
Schwarzkopf in this recording is the only singer I have heard in this
symphony who actually sings the last syllable of "Freuden", in the first
line "Wir geniessen die himmlische Freuden" so one can hear it.

What are others favourites?

Mats Norrman