From:
James Kearney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 15:13:46 +0100
Ralf Oehlmann asked for our experiences of Sibelius symphony sets.
I possess only the Rattle/CSBO set [CMS7 64118-2], given away free by
"Gramophone" magazine as an incentive to subscribe in the early 1990s.
EMI's distanced sound understates Sibelius' rhythmic vigour, but adds a
wonderful luminosity to his scoring.  Highlights in this set include:

1st Symphony & Oceanides: The CBSO violins whisper the slow movement's
melody with more tenderness than any other orchestra I've heard, and
Rattle paces the finale's rhetorical outbursts with more heart-stopping
grandeur.  I played this CD to help me recover from a frenetic and
thoughtless performance by the BBC Scottish Symphony under Osmo Vanska
at last August's Proms concerts.

2nd & 3rd Symphony: There are more thrilling and rugged 2nds from
Barbirolli, Jarvi and Karajan.  Rattle's build-up to the big horn theme in
the 3rd's first movement is a real thriller.  The divided cellos' lament in
the slow movement is all the more moving for sounding so veiled.

4th & 6th Symphony: The 4th is suitably gaunt, but sounds even more
cadaverous under Beecham (LPO 1930s).  When I first heard the opening
passage of Rattle's Sibelius 6, I had never encountered such a rare
serenity and joy in music before.  Other recordings (e.g.  Karajan/BPO,
Davis/LSO) have better articulation in the other movements, but none match
Rattle for transcendent evanescence in the first.

5th & 7th Symphony, Scene with Cranes (Kuolema), Night Ride & Sunrise:
Rattle's taut CBSO 5th is one of the very best, sounding less plush than
his 1982 Philharmonia Orchestra recording.  The Philharmonia's trombones
provide a wonderfully fat and sonorous climax to Night Ride & Sunrise.
I have not grasped the 7th Symphony - its mysteries elude me with every
listen so far.

James Kearney