From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 May 2005 22:44:01 -0400
Several years ago Steve Schwartz (I think) speculated about who the
greatest composer was.  The major criterion, as I remember it, was that
the composer had to show talent across all forms of musical expression.
After eliminating the three B's, Mozart, and others, the author came up
with an obscure composer who had shown at least a facility in every type
of musical expression.  I can't remember the composer.

Steve, if that was indeed him, was wrong.

If the *only* criterion for greatness is an ability to express genius
across all or nearly all types of music, then who else but Tchaikovsky
is the greatest composer ever?  I came to this conclusion, of course,
after last night's all-Tchaikovsky program at the Kennedy Center, a
report on which I posted a few minutes ago.

Tchaikovsky composed probably the world's most frequently heard piano
concerto, one of the most frequently heard violin concertos, possibly
the two most frequently performed ballets, one of the greatest operas,
six symphonies all of which have their strengths, and one of the greatest
pieces of stand-alone anthems (1812) ever written.  He has even excelled
in string quartets, one of whose movements is immediately recognizable
to all lovers of classical music; and I have heard people say his most
underrated works are his songs, none of which, sadly, I have yet heard.
I'm having a hard time recalling a piece of liturgical or church music
by Tchaikovsky, but isn't that the only major field in which he has not
written something memorable?

Can anyone beat that?  Steve, was that actually you?

Mitch Friedfeld

 [If Machaut is "obscure", then Mitch has some listening to do.  :-)

 Steve probably never though this would come back and haunt him
 seven years later.  But it has.  Unfortunately, due to the limit
 on archive space we've been allotted for the list, Steve's original
 post is no longer online, however, I have included it below for
 clarity.  -Dave]