From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:37:29 -0500
This just arrived in my mailbox, and as it is related to this thread, I
thought I'd pass it along.  I know nothing about this event beyond what's
written here.

   Dear classic music lovers and sports fans:

   This Wednesday (Nov. 3), Indiana University will present a very
   special event live on the Web. Indiana University Basketball Coach
   Bob Knight will narrate Aaron Copland's Lincoln Portrait as part of
   a performance by the University Orchestra. The concert will be
   professionally produced for broadcast live and in its entirety on
   the World Wide Web at http://broadcast.iu.edu. The concert begins at
   8 pm EST. The complete program will be archived for viewing for one
   month on the Web.

   We encourage you to view the concert and would appreciate
   your directing others to our broadcast site.  People will need
   RealPlayer G2 to view the broadcast, which is included with
   Netscape 4.6 and above or can be downloaded free of charge at
   http://www.real.com/products/player/ It will take phone modem users
   20 to 30 minutes to download and install the software from the
   RealNetworks site.

   Here is more information on the musical program:

   Copland is known as the "dean of American music," and the Lincoln
   selection is one of his most famous works.  IU Music Professor and
   Director of Bands Ray Cramer, who will conduct the orchestra for the
   program, said he contacted Knight for the narration because he knew
   of Knight's interest in patriotism, American history and the writings
   of Lincoln.

   The concert also will feature Carl Maria von Weber's Overture to Der
   Freischuetz, Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra and
   Stravinksy's Four Norwegian Moods.

   The Internet broadcast, one of four involving IU School of Music
   events in November, represents a pioneering use of computer technology.
   Other upcoming Web music events are the University Jazz Ensemble on
   Nov.  1; the IU Opera Theater production of Puccini's one-act operas
   Sister Angelica and Gianni Schicchi on Nov.  12; and the IU Philharmonic
   Orchestra directed by former Boston Symphony Orchestra concertmaster
   Joseph Silverstein on Nov.  14.

   Approximately 5,000 viewers and listeners in 23 countries accessed
   the first IU Internet music broadcast on Sept.  14, a concert by
   renowned cellists Janos Starker of the IU faculty and Mstislav
   Rostropovich.

   For more information on the University Orchestra program and other
   upcoming Web musical events at IU, go to http://broadcast.iu.edu/ or
   phone the IU School of Music at 812-855-9846 or visit the School of
   Music's Web site at http://www.music.indiana.edu/

   Thank you for your consideration.  If you have any questions, please
   feel free to call me at 812-855-3911.

   George Vlahakis
   IU Manager of Media Relations

Dave