From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:59:28 -0600
Miguel Muelle:

>It never ceases to amaze me how full of themselves people can get.
>In every profession, it seems, there are those who believe that they are
>above humanity's humanity.  I suppose it is no surprise that in the arts,
>where people aren't making widgets but dealing with the invisible, those
>people become self-worshipping to the point of this kind of rudeness.
>I am not opposed to conductors who glare at a noisy audience, but this
>takes the cake.  I wish the public had booed him off stage.  Where are
>the days of people taking produce to concerts when you need them?!?

Ah, it's just the Romantic cult of genius asserting itself.  The axioms
go:

1.  Geniuses are locked into the spheres, rather than on earth, and you
can't expect them to conform to normal social convention.

2.  Geniuses are often rude and angry at bourgeois stolidity.

Unfortunately, to these two observations one often hears an addition:

3.  A boor angry at society at large is a genius.

Of course, boorishness and genius are two separate propositions.  The
existence of one doesn't guarantee the other.

Steve Schwartz