From:
Francisco Rivera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 13:41:19 +0000
I think Penderecki's music is simply great.  I understand your dislike
for his 1st symphony, but since the second one, nobody can reject the
greatness of such a composer.  His early works don't sound so good from
our orthodox perspective.  I dont't quite like them, but I still recognize
that there's structure and thought.  Since his second period, his music
follows a neorromantic tendency, which assured the popularity among the
audience and the critics.  His operas are quite wonderful, his vocal works
are masterpieces of these century.  You mention the Requiem, the St.  Luke
Passion, etc.  but, what about his Credo? With that work, written in 1998,
and it's performance in Puerto Rico, conducted by the Maestro, in which
I sang, I got introduced into his music and his personality.  Since
that performance in 1999, I meet the Maestro each summer at the Casals
Festival (he is its music director) and talk with him about his music.
It's wonderful.  He's my music heroe and I admire him so much.  Well, I
encourage you and anybody who would like to hear at least one work of these
great composer to buy a recording of his Credo.  There are two recordings:
one with Helmuth Rilling, the original one, and another with Kazimierz
Kordz.  Sincerely,

Francisco Javier Rivera