From:
Kyle Major <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 21:26:11 -0500
I am a young composer interested in non-equal-tempered tuning systems.  I
would like to work primarily with acoustic instruments and not electronic
ones.  I recently pondered dividing the octave by means of the harmonic
series.  Using the first 31 natural harmonics of a fundamental I arrived at
a 16 note octave.  (Half the harmonics are repetitions).  The relationship
from one frequency to the next is mathematically arithmetic and not
geometric; that is, the distance between pitches decreases as one ascends
the octave.  Does anyone know if a composer, or perhaps another culture,
has utilized a system similar to this? Also, I would like to expose myself
more to "microtonal" music and non-traditional (at least in a modern
Western sense) tuning systems.  If anyone has any suggestions of recordings
or books for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Best,

Kyle Major