From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 14:22:58 -0600
Steve Schwartz:

>*  Susato: Selections from "The Danserye" (arr. Dunnigan)
>*  Vaughan Williams: English Folk Song Suite
>*  Del Tredici: In Wartime
>*  Daugherty: Bells for Stokowski
>
>The University of Texas Wind Ensemble/Jerry Junkin.
>Reference Recordings RR-104 CD  Total time: 64:49
>
>Summary for the Busy Executive: Wow.

Last February, Steve Schwartz reviewed this recording very favorably,
and The New York Times included it in its end of the year reviews of
the best recordings of 2004..  I spent weeks trying to obtain a copy,
unsuccessfully, before learning that a dispute between Reference Recordings
and its distributor made this impossible.  Recently that situation was
resolved and I have finally been able to hear this.  I concur with Steve's
remarks about it, including what he said about the Susato.  Special
thanks to him for tipping me off to the Testament reissue of the wonderful
David Munroe original-instrument version of the Susato, which I had long
been wanting to hear on a CD transfer but the existence of which I had
been unaware.

Jim Tobin