From:
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 17:57:56 -0400
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>GG may have believed in creating a performance by edits but he was
>not "cheating" if by that you mean to imply covering up for lapses in
>technique.  You only have to hear the live 1957 (?) Salzburg Goldbergs
>on Sony to realise he had an awesome technique.

Actually I've heard that GG overdubbed himself in some of the double
octave passages in recording the Liszt transcription of Beethoven's fifth.
He apparently did not have the Lisztian "shoulders and arms" technique
required to play stuff like that.  Whether he cared to have that technique
is of course a different matter.

Ulvi