From:
Chris Mullins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:40:01 -0500
Did anyone else see the profile of Gergiev on "60 Minutes"?  I just
happened to be at my parents' house, where they stop everything to watch
the program on Sunday evenings.  Having other things to do, I would have
left if I hadn't seen the preview clip.

I'm a fan of the man, especially after a blazing concert with LA Phil
just a week or so ago (which I posted a review of).  The profile covered
the usual topics: his personal hygiene, compulsive activity and tardiness,
so forth.  His role as guest conductor at the Met was highlighted, with
Fleming and Volpe offering praise - well, Volpe mostly tells a "I'm such
a tough guy" story about curing Gergeiv's of his lateness as far as Met
performances go.

The comment from Gergeiv I will remember had to do with his "secret"
to conducting, which came down to a simple idea: he loves the music
he conducts, the musicians know it, and that reawakens their own love.
After hearing "Pictures at an Exhibition" come across at Disney Hall as
freshly as if it were brand new, I feel that Gergiev's gift to convey
his love through his conducting is truly great.

By comparison, I just received and started to play a disc of Russian
music conducted by George Szell.  The "Pictures" is so tidy and clean,
almost chamber-like, and I don't dismiss that - some sections come across
quite well.  Overall, however, I miss the passion.  Szell seems loath
to play with the tempo and build up a gaudy climax. No tingles as Szell's
"Pictures" blares to a close.  Gergiev provided plenty.

Anyway, it is always nice to see something, anything, about classical
music on network television.

C Mullins
Redondo Beach