From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 14:16:26 +1000
Years ago, I remember reading about a simple test you could use if you were
unsure whether the symphony you were listening to was by Mozart or Haydn.
If you could more or less fit the words, "Is this the O'Reilly who owns the
hotel?" to the opening tune of the minuet, then it was by Haydn.  I was
reminded of this today when I was listening to Mozart's Gran Partita and
found that the test suggested it's really by Haydn, although, of course,
it 's not a symphony.  I wondered if any other Lister has run across this
piece of nonsense or knows its origin.

I was also reminded of the days when many Haydn symphonies were recorded by
the Little Orchestra of London conducted by Leslie Jones, who had another
life as a merchant banker or something like that.  I still have a number of
those LPs and I imagine there are other list members who do.  Does anyone
know what became of Leslie Jones? Is he still with us?

Richard Pennycuick