From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:45:05 -0400
Ed Zubrow wrote:

>... I happened to pick up a disc from Berkshire of Kirsten Flagstad singing
>Wesendonk Lieder.  I thought they were wonderful.  Unfortunately, the disc
>has virtually no notes.  So, I am wondering: Are the five I heard the
>complete set or are there more?

That's all there are.  Is your recording w/ orchestral or piano
accompaniment? She's recorded them w/ Oivin Fjeldstat conducting the
Orchestra of the Oslo Philharmonic Society (Acanta 43189), w/ Gerald
Moore, piano (EMI CDH 7 63030-2), and w/ Bruno Walter, piano (AS 422).

In addition to the above, I also have them sung by Tiana Lemnitz, w/ Robert
Heger conducting the Staatskapelle, Berlin (Acanta 43275) and by Astid
Varnay w/ Leopold Ludwig conducting the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra.

I liked the songs when I first heard them sung to orchestral accompaniment.
After hearing them accompanied by piano alone, which was the way they were
first written, I was captivated.

Walter Meyer