From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 17:39:56 +0000
  Joseph-Ermend Bonnal(1880-1944)
          String Quartets

1-4. String Quartet No. 1(1918)
5-7. String Quartet No. 2(1934)

Arion 68504
Recorded 1999
Debussy Quartet
TT 54:32

During his lifetime, Joseph-Ermand Bonnal was considered a consummate
musical artist esteemed by Henri Sauguet, Paul Dukas, Maurice Ravel,
and other French notables.  However, upon Bonnal's death, his name and
compositions fell off the map as has often happened with so many other
fine artists.

Bonnal composed liturgical works, organ pieces, symphonies, and chamber
works consisting of a Trio and the two String Quartets on this Arion
disc.  Intimately connected to the folk-music of the Basque country,
Bonnal integrated it into his art music in a masterful fashion as was
also done by Bartok and Kodaly.

The Debussy Quartet is a young French ensemble founded in 1990 which has
an exclusive contract to record for the Arion label.  Other recordings
of theirs include a disc of nineteenth century string quartets and an
on-going traversal of the Shostakovich String Quartets.  Although there
are not recorded alternatives, the group's performances of Bonnal's music
sound fully idiomatic and expert.

How to describe Bonnal's string quartets?  It's probably best to look
to the Ravel String Quartet for reference as the architecture and musical
flow are quite similar.  Although not as inventive as Ravel, Bonnal's
music still impresses with its floating and liquid rhythms.  The reasons
for Bonnal's neglect, even from the French, are hard to understand;
perhaps his provincial preferences simply were not acceptable to the
French musical elite.

Bonnal's 1st String Quartet, in four movements, was composed just after
the conclusion of the First World War.  The 1st Movement, "Vif", has
that liquid flow and lyricism so prevalent in the Ravel String Quartet;
I initially thought I had put on the wrong disc.  The density of the
music is quite strong and likely a result of Bonnal's concentration on
organ composition.  There is some dissonance, but it is mild and not
frequent.  Variety of color and expert counterpoint are also basic
ingredients of the 1st Movement.

The 2nd Movement is designated "Assez vif, apre et sarcastique" which
translates into "lively, fierce, and sarcastic".  It's a very accurate
description of the movement as the first section is rustic, driven, and
urgent music having the capacity to excite the senses; it reminds me
some of the typical Shostakovich race to the finish line.  The second
section is heart-felt and tender with a wonderfully lyrical and haunting
melody line.  After a highly effective transition, the first section
returns in all its glory.  Overall, this is an exceptional movement
offering a wide range of emotional breadth.

I'm not fully taken in by the 3rd Movement Grave et expressif.  Possessed
of a solemn nature, I feel that Bonnal does not offer much contrast.
Also, the music's sentimentality becomes a bit much at times.  Ultimately,
I can't help but think that Bonnal's musical arguments don't accomodate
the 10 minute span of the movement.  There is one gorgeous musical theme
in the movement, but it gets short shrift from Bonnal.

The last movement is a highly animated affair which begins with the
strings ushering in a burst of frenzied activity.  Subsequently, snatches
of the 1st Movement reappear, and the music takes on the Ravelian liquid
flow.

The 2nd String Quartet was composed in 1934 and features a 1st Movement
of two highly contrasted themes.  It begins with a slow Grave which opens
up into a more demonstrative and swirling set of declarations.  Personally,
I feel that Bonnal doesn't offer sufficient thematic development to make
a significant impression.

The slow movement incorporates Gregorian chant with a folk-type song.
It's excellent music that is a little short of displaying great inspiration.
The final movement is an exuberant piece with offsetting passages of
poignancy.

Don's Conclusions: Other reviews I have read tend to give the reader the
opinion that this Arion disc of Bonnal string quartets is an essential
acquisition for anyone enamored of the Ravel and Debussy string quartets.

I am not as upbeat about Bonnal's music.  He's very similar to Ravel,
but not quite a masterful composer.  Ravel's inventiveness and architectural
sweep surpass what Bonnal can offer; I think that's clear through
comparative listening.

Is Bonnal essential?  Absolutely not, but I can heartily recommend the
Arion disc for its fine music and performances; just don't expect to be
astounded.  If you end up hungry for more Bonnal, there is a Pavane disc
of Bonnal's organ music for your investigation.

In conclusion, obscure music which sees the light of day often gets raves
from reviewers upon first blush.  That's understandable, but we need to
keep matters in perspective.  Ravel and Debussy are among the elite of
early twentieth century classical music; Bonnal is a worthy composer but
a step or two below greatness.  Stronger advocacy of his music is certainly
called for, but I doubt that Bonnal will ever be planted on the hollow
ground reserved for Ravel.  As for myself, only the 2nd Movement of the
1918 String Quartet will get much playing time in future months.  In
sporting terms, Bonnal makes the play-offs but doesn't advance to the
quarter-final matches.

Don Satz