From:
Mary Esterheld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:07:52 -0800
In the book, "The Philadelphia Orchestra, A Century of Music", p. 74,
is the following:

   "Ormandy's father, Benjamin Blau, was a dentist who loved the
   violin and introduced his son to the instrument at age three.
   His mother is listed in several accounts as having been named
   Rosalie Ormandy Blau, which would account for the name under
   which he achieved fame.  However, Ormandy always firmly declined
   to discuss the origins of the name and his reasons for adopting
   it professionally, leaving a certain mystery about it.  Two
   younger brothers followed him to the United States--Martin, a
   well-known New York cellist, and Laszlo, a Washington, D.C.,
   surgeon."

I believe his cellist brother also changed his name to Ormandy.

I have a liner note that reads, "In 1921 he moved to America (changing
his name: 'blau' being an undesirable German colloquialism)...."

Perhaps this is the reason??

Mary Esterheld