From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 20:59:38 +0200
Norman Lebrecht wrote:

>I am fascinated by these MP3 downloads, especially by the Aaron Rosand
>performance.  Cam someone tell me: are they authorised by the artists
>and record labels, or simply freeloaded?

They are all 100% authorized by the performers and record labels involved.
Several of the performances are independently produced (like the Serafino)
and no record label is involved.  When our CD comes out this year we have
agreed with the label to keep at least 25% of the disc on mp3.com.

All of the artists, at least the ones I'm recommending, are fully aware
and quite happy that their music is being heard.  They receive payment, not
only in CD sales but also in "payback for playback", the program whereby
mp3.com pays artists for downloads/listens.  When you listened to the great
Aaron Rosand, he got paid about a dime.  This payment works out pretty well
for the artists.  If you listen to the Serafino Trio for like 60 minutes,
or the length of a CD, we get paid about a buck, more or less.  If you go
to the record store and buy our CD we get paid about a buck, more or less.
Difference is, you don't have to pay to listen, and also when you come back
tomorrow and listen again, we get paid a buck again.

Additionally, for the artists it is an incredible opportunity for promotion
and exposure, and should lead to increased CD sales.  I, for example, had
never heard of Aaron Rosand before I found him on mp3.com.  Now, if I am
in a record store and see a CD of his, I may very well buy it.

Fortunately, we have the major record companies lining up to sue and put a
stop to all this.

Dave Runnion
http://mp3.com/serafinotrio