From:
Nina Costanza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:37:47 EST
I think this has been discussed before on this list; but to repeat, I
think a large reason why classical music is losing out to pop or whatever
- is that the programming is terribly boring. I was brought up on classical
music, appreciate it, have a masters in composition, but rarely listen to
classical music stations because they play the same old things ad
nauseum... If we could have more interesting programs such as that by Peter
Schikele (oi!  sp?), then the audience I believe would undoubtedly broaden.
There is so much contemporary classical music (for want of a better word)
being written by living composers, with a modern temper and consciousness,
that if incorporated more into typical classical programming on a regular
basis might stimulate a new audience.

Nina Costanza