From:
Len Fehskens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:25:58 -0400
Jon Johanning writes:

>In other words, I don't belong to the school of CM fans who feel that the
>role of a great orchestra is to confirm the musical prejudices they already
>happen to have.  If that's your approach, how can you grow as a listener?

As I wrote, I find it far more effective to explore new repertoire on CD.

Don Satz writes:

>We yak so much about getting new converts.  Sterling offers
>something to help with this process, and Len rejects it immediately.

I don't think you can "convert" people to classical music.  I think
the best you can hope to do is expose people who are susceptible to
classical music to it.  And you don't help them by condescending to them
as "beginners".  What makes a musical work "appropriate" for a beginner?

Bernard Chasen writes:

>I have never heard or had the opportunity to hear any Holmboe or Norgard
>live, just to name two favorites.

I would love to hear Holmboe or Norgard performed by the BSO.

len.