From:
Robin Mitchell-Boyask <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 11:13:58 -0800
A couple of comments on Karl's surprise at his recommendation of Ormandy

>4-Slovak, Ormandy (yes, Ormandy), Ashkenazy...I still don't have one that
>Karl

Not having grown up in my adopted city, I was never a big Ormandy fan,
but every Shostakovich recording I've heard by him and the PO has been
outstanding.  RCA has just released on CD their 15th (heard it on the
radio; simply stunned at the end to hear it was the hometown gang), and
Sony has coupled the 4th with the 10th at budget price.  The new archival
set has a wonderful live 6th.

Don't forget that, between Ormandy and Stokowski, Philadelphia has a
longer, more important connection with DS's music than any other orchestra
outside Leningrand/St Petersburg!

Robin Mitchell-Boyask
Temple University
Philadelphia PA 19122