From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2001 12:48:32 -0800
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Once I attended to a concert here in Buenos Aires, in which three or
>four pianists alternated during a large amount of time at the playing of
>"Vexations".  I don't remember if they wanted to play just the original
>840 times or if they were going for more, trying to establish a Guinness
>record.

Meanwhile Mr. Gereben follows in Mr. Wisers footsteps to improve this
list to the best commercial-list for upcoming events (which not even 1%
of us will ever attend) in the net, I can report the guinness-record is
already lost to John Cage, who has composed some minimalistic piece which
is supposed to be performed over a time of 20 years (or something even more
ridiculous).  The piece starts with a pause and the first tone is appearing
after 4 days and lasts 2 weeks in duration.  Some organists of Saxony have
volounteered for performing the piece, reports DN.  This is NOT a joke!!!
After Karl-Heinz Stockhausen, the next avantguardist has come up with
something even better, just proving the solidity of the idea of the
Oevre....alas!

>I felt myself stupid for being there and, of course, I felt them more
>stupid than me.  I felt that the occasion wasn't humorous at all (just
>as this indication of Satie was).  It's like when you tell a joke to a
>person and he takes you seriously.  That's sad.

You have no humour. To take a joke seriously can be the finest of humour.

Mats Norrman