From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 14:08:28 -0600
Edgar W Beach Jr:

>What I would like to know (if it can be answered): Can you or anyone
>give me a specific example of a piece of music that appeals solely to
>the mind?

No, I don't think there is any music as intellectual as that.  Even the
most complex and dense music still has a sensuous texture that can be
heard, even by those unable to aurally distinguish, say, retrograde
inversions of tone rows.  For examples of critically acclaimed music
that pushes the limits of complexity, you might want to test yourself
on some of the orchestral works of Boulez or Carter.

Jim Tobin