From:
Jonathan Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 00:10:38 +0100
James Hunsley wrote:

>Don Satz wrote:
>
>>...I love Bach's music, and I don't appreciate
>>Vivaldi's music...Bach's music and Vivaldi's are very different,
>>and I see no inconsistency in liking the music of one but not the other.
>
>Well I certainly do.  What does Satz think about all of the Bach Vivaldi
>transcriptions?

I'm afraid I have to agree with my good friend Don on this.  Why on earth
do people keep on trying to convince us that we should like one composer
because we like another? I suppose Bach is right at the top of my list, but
Vivaldi doesn't even appear on it.  We are fortunate to be able to listen
to the work of a genius which totally eclipsed the works of most of his
predecessors.  Work and taste are two totally different matters, as Don
pointed out.  Let me ask you a question:  do you really like the wife of
every friend you have?

Jonathan