From:
Virginia Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:34:07 +0100
Aryeh Oron <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>As an example, please take a look at the CM page of 'Es ist genug' by
>Johan Rudolf Ahle: http://www.bach-cantatas.com/CM/Es-ist-genug.htm
>
>This one is interesting, because many 20th century composers, starting
>with Alban Berg with his Violin Concerto, based their works (or part of
>them) on this CM.  The list includes: Robert Moevs, Kenneth Leighton,
>Edison Densov, Sten Hanson, David Del Tredici, Dieter Kaufmann, Sven-David
>Sandstrom, and Magnus Lindberg.

Another work which uses this melody is Alun Hoddinott's 'The Sun, the
Great Luminary of the Universe'.  See the programme note at:

   http://www.oup.co.uk/music/repprom/hoddinott/prognotes/

I heard this on the BBC a couple of years ago.  (I can't say I thought
very highly of it.) I had the problem I have with all settings of this
theme - even Bach's cantata - that they make me wish I was listening to
Berg's concerto instead.

Virginia Knight
Personal homepage: http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/~ggvhk/virginia.html
Blog (mostly about singing): http://devbox.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/~cmvhk/blog/