From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 19:43:38 -0400
Bob Kasenchak wrote:

>I certainly hope so, since NEC's where I'm headed.  Bet the orch has a
>small euphonium section though!  Not that I'll likely be in it...

Or any other euphonium player. Though I'm sure someone will point out an
orchestra piece with a euphonium now that I've said this.

>...  I read where all the groups at NEC together puts on 600 concerts a
>year!!!!  That's almost 2 a day!!!

They do a lot.  And some opera.  I saw a pretty good Midsummernight's dream
there and a terrific Chadwick opera, name of which I cannot remember.  Some
of the other schools do opera, too, but we do need a real big time
professional company.

>I'm just a bit dissapointed about the BSO.  I want to go see a real
>symphony in a real hall.  You should see the very silly venue where the
>Santa Fe SO performs.  Its has about the size and acoustical delicacy of an
>average Junior High School gymnasium.  (The Opera House is nice though.)

Symphony Hall is one of the world's greatest.  Some say 3rd best in the
world, and I agree, as far as I can.  Wonderful sound, though there are
bad seats.  YOu learn this stuff soon enough.  And the BSO bothers some
people more than others.  Maybe you'll like them.  I try to hear a *lot*
of orchestras and have.  What happens is the BSO suffers in comparison to
too many of them, sometimes technically, sometimes in sheer musicality and
enthusiasm.  That isn't meant to be condescending or implying I'm some kind
of worldly expert on orchestras:  it's just my experience.

Welcome aboard.

Roger Hecht