From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 19:13:09 -0700
John Dalmas ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>I believe it was Wagner who asked Bruckner to dedicate the symphony
>to him, which Bruckner did.  It was the dedication that led to the tag
>"Wagner Symphony."

Weeeellll.  Bruckner 3rd (in its original version) actually contained a
fair number of quotations from Wagner's music.

Bruckner visited Wagner taking with the the mss.  of both 2nd and 3rd
symphonies and *asking* if he could dedicate one of them to Wagner,
whichever Wagner preferred.

After leaving Bruckner was so excited he couldn't remember which symphony
Wagner did prefer, so wrote him a note asking him.  "Yes, the trumpet tune"
(or something siilar) came the reply, obviously meaning the 3rd.

Whether it was the dedication or the quotations which led to the nickname
I'm uncertain.

Deryk Barker