From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 17:08:01 -0400
Karl Miller writes:

>I am reminded of a quote I read in an article about Celibidache. He was
>asked what he thought of von Karajan...he supposedly said something like,
>not very good. Someone then replied, but he has made so many recordings
>and they have sold so many copies. He then replied, they also sell lots of
>Coca-Cola...does that make it a great drink?

I am reminded, in turn, that Celi, while a great musician, was also a
great bad-mouther of almost all rivals.  He never could forget that it
was Karajan who snatched the Berlin Philharmonic away from him after
Furtwaengler.  But even in general, Celi means for me for great listening,
but extremely poor reading.

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]