From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 17:42:22 PDT
Bob Stumpf wrote:

>You know, it has occurred to me that a serious listener to classical
>music should have more than one recording of a piece.

I'll second that premise, if for no other reason than as a support for my
buying habits.  Of course, there are better reasons than that one.  Great
music tends to accomodate a wide range of interpretations; sometimes, a
particular performance makes the music almost sound like a different piece
from an alternative performance.

The specific musicial work is very significant.  I have a bunch of
Brandenburg Concerto recordings, but I know I've overdone it.  But with
the Well Tempered Clavier, the sky is a realistic limit.

It's also important to feed the buying/collection addiction.  If one
acquires a wide variety of classical music and many versions of hundreds
of favorite compositions, the elite circle awaits.

Don Satz