From:
Donald Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 15:08:29 -0700
"David Harbin" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Anne Ozorio replies to Richard Todd:
>
>> I gather no one has done a decent ring since 1953.
>>
>>> Or rather, that no-one has actually listened to a
>>> Ring since 1953.!
>
>I do not understand this comment.

I understand it perfectly well.  Surveys of Rings are mildly interesting
to me, but ultimately useless.  Solti's Ring came out how long ago?
I listened to it all the way through once, about five years ago, on a
CD-ROM, in mono with headphones, when I had a very soft job and nothing
to do, with a computer in front of me.  I enjoyed it.  But unless somebody
offers to feed me, make my mortgage payment, walk my dog, mow my lawn
and all that stuff for what is left of my life, I do not ever expect to
listen to a complete Ring again.  One cannot do it in ten-minute or even
30-minute segments.

On the other hand, the writer may be commenting on the endless hero-worship
of Furtwangler or whoever: for those who can apparently manage their
time much better than I can, or who never read anything, never watch any
TV, don't have any dogs or lawns (the two go together, plastic bag in
hand on the poo patrol) etc all those more recent Rings cannot be
completely worthless.

Donald Clarke