From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 09:18:05 -0700
Karl Miller ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Norman M. Schwartz replies to me:
>
>>In addition to being the musician he was, and unlike numerous
>>others,Toscanini took a stong stance against Fascism and Mussolini.  I
>>like to think that Mr. Sarnoff recognized the human being in addition
>>to the musician and chose to reward him for his morality.  (Morality
>>being discussed here in different thread is not exactly something to
>>blow your nose upon.)
>
>While we are unlikely to ever know one way or the other, I too would
>like to think that Sarnoff recognized the human being, but I rather think
>he recognized the name.

It's also worth pointing out that in the 1919 Italian election Toscanini
stood as a fascist candidate and that, until he was roughed up by a gang
of fascists at the stage door (La Scala? don't recall the year) he
continued to visit and conduct in Mussolini's fascist Italy.

Moreover NBC's commitment to broadcasting classical music pretty much
died when AT retired.

Deryk Barker