From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 07:46:53 +0100
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>...  On this basis I acquired a cd of two Braunfels string
>quartets, written in the mid forties.  This is interesting music - the
>notes with the cd compare the first quartet to Bartok, while the staff
>recommendation described it as Brucknerian.  I vote for Bruckner - some
>wonderful romantic passages, reminiscent of Bruckner's one complete (?)
>chamber work, but you can here rhythmic echoes of the Hungarian master as
>well.  As I say, interesting - and I did not get anything like that hollow
>feeling which sometimes follows first listens to impulse purchases, that I
>will never listen to THAT one again.

A pity indeed if you will not listen to it again.  His stringquartetts
are very good ones, trust me, of great brilliance and depth, and also he
composed an opera:  "Die Voegel" (after Aristofanes), which also is worth
listening too.  I hear not so much Bartok in Braunfels, a little though,
but Bruckner, but also Wagner and Strauss.

Mats Norrman